Monday, March 30, 2009

Where did you get your dinner?



The answer to that question for many Americans over the past several decades has increasingly been "The supermarket." or "A restaurant." And that's really a shame.

Growing up on a farm near Plentywood, MT, I was privileged to enjoy the meals that had been raised practically in my backyard. Not every meal, but many more than the average American. Of course at the time, I wasn't all that appreciative. I watched my share of TV and was aware of the plethora of processed foods available. There was a time when I would have rather eaten an Oscar Mayer hot dog than fresh garden vegetables. But what kid doesn't.

I like to think I'm a bit more enlightened these days. Plus I'm addicted to shows like "Good Eats" on The Food Network. As I sit writing this during a late March North Dakota snowstorm, I've been pondering the idea of filling some Rubbermaid tubs or similar containers with potting soil and doing a container garden, to at least grow some tomatoes, maybe some peppers and a squash or two.

It's a good idea on a number of levels. One, seeds are very cheap, especially compared to the price of a decent restaurant meal. Two, most restaurant meals and a lot of the supermarket produce in this part of the country has been trucked in from all over the country. Now I'm not a real Green Freak, but when less of our food needs to be shipped in, the less we need to depend on foreign oil. Three, home grown garden produce tastes so much better than anything you can buy in the supermarket. Ever gotten used to eating homegrown tomatoes like an apple and then try it with their supermarket cousin? YUCK!!!

Even our President and his family is getting into the act.
A total of 1100 square feet of the White House grounds is being turned into a kitchen garden for the first time since Eleanor Roosevelt did it during World War II. The Obama's are getting help tending the garden from Washington, DC area fifth graders. Hats off to the President and First Lady for following through on this project.

I don't think the local supermarkets are going to be in any danger of closing as a result of small time gardeners. But I think it's a good idea for all Americans to give some consideration to growing a bit of what they consume. I am so looking forward to the summer and doing a little growing plus shopping the local Farmer's Markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment