Thursday, May 14, 2009

Where are they now!


The Missoulian newspaper had the following article in today's edition. I'm reposting it despite the fact it makes me feel old. I've known Dan Moe for 31 years, since he first moved to Plentywood as a teacher and coach and I was a high school sophomore.

LINK TO STORY

One of my favorite memories of Coach Moe is visiting with him on the sidelines of a Baker - Plentywood basketball game back in the mid 1980's. I had noticed that one of Plentywood's early non-conference games was against the high school in Estevan, Saskatchewan, not a place known for producing top caliber basketball teams. I asked him why he'd allowed them on the schedule and he said he "wanted to play a physical team of hockey player types to get ready for playing Baker".

The Spartans basketball team, then as now, is made up of some very big boys who ruled on the football field and were very good on the basketball court too. I didn't have the heart to tell him that in addition to football skills, at least one of the Spartans was a stand out rodeo cowboy. Dean Wang was on the court at the time and he had been to the National High School Finals Rodeo as a Steer Wrestler. He later qualified for the NFR in Las Vegas as a member of the PRCA. Imagine having to block him out in the lane!

No comments:

Post a Comment